Friday, January 11, 2013

Interview with Author Lauren Bjorkman

Today, I am turning the blog over to Lauren Bjorkman, author of the young adult novels 'Miss Fortune Cookie' and 'My Invented Life.'

What was the inspiration behind 'My Invented Life'?

It started with my high school reunion, where one of my classmate’s heart-wrenching story inspired me to write about identity issues. Though it’s a hard subject, I made my story funny and uplifting because that’s the way I am.

There’s a personal angle, too. My sister and I were very close until she started high school. Though I worshipped her completely, she dumped me, not unlike Eva dumps Roz. My novel is strictly fiction, though. Of course.

Which character and/or scene was the most fun to write?

I had fun the whole way through. I particularly enjoyed the online Ouija scene because it made me laugh. Still does. I also loved writing the theater scenes. I spent a lot of time watching real high school rehearsals to get the right feel in them.

Which character were you most like in high school?

None of them. Roz and I are opposites. Whenever I tried to imagine what she would do next, I had to imagine what I wouldn’t have done. But the two of us have a few things in common. In high school, I was oblivious sometimes, not because I wanted to hurt anyone’s feelings, but rather because I didn’t have a clue. I can be a little shy like Eva. I wish I could be as talented and reasonable as she is. Occasionally I keep secrets like Eyeliner Andie.

Erin, the star of my latest novel Miss Fortune Cookie, is my most autobiographical character yet. She can be a little too subservient to her friends, a bit nerdy, and shines best when working behind the scenes.

If the book were made into a movie or TV show, who would play each part?

Remind me to never apply for a job as a casting director! If your inquiring mind needs to know, visit this post at My Book, The Movie.

What other projects are you working on right now?

A contemporary YA about a girl whose mom is accused of stealing corporate secrets about a new technology, a soon-to-be-released device that could make life easier for people suffering from anxiety and depression. Unable to trust her stepfather, she seeks help from an old friend of her mother’s, learns secrets about her past, and finds herself torn between two very different worlds.

What are you reading right now?

I’m catching up on books my two sons want me to read, The Eternity Code (Book 3 of Artemis Fowl) and The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. Try Not to Breathe by Jennifer Hubbard and Forget Me Not by Carolee Dean are on top of my TBR. I also just borrowed Paper Towns from the Library.

If you could become a character in any book or play, who would it be and why?

I’d like to be Ginny Weasley for three reasons:
  1. She can perform magic on a daily basis
  2. She has the coolest family
  3. She gets to kiss Harry Potter
Oh, and Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice. I love her attitude. Colin Firth Darcy is pretty dashing, too.

The Apocalypse is coming! Who and what do you have by your side at The End?

Is this a zombie apocalypse? If so, running shoes, a water bottle, and a long sword. If you mean the end of the world and we’re all going to die, I would like to be surrounded by all those that I love. And have a giant box of really good quality chocolates handy.

What is something that fans may not know about you?

A lot of things, I hope. I’m kind of a private person

Anything else you would like to share with readers?

To thine ownself be true.

Thanks so much for your time!



Biography

I grew up on a sailboat, sharing the tiny forecastle with my sister and the sail bags. Against all odds, we are still friends. We started sailing in California and ended in Argentina. My favorite stops along the way were Costa Rica, Panama, Isla Providencia, Key West, the Azores, the Canary Islands, and Brazil.

During our voyages, my sister drew beautiful paper dolls for the both of us. We sewed amazing wardrobes for our stuffed animals. We became excellent swimmers and beach combers. We made up new lyrics for old songs. Canned food dominated our meals on crossings, so we really appreciated fresh fruit when we came into port. I dreamed of ice cream on the open ocean.

We kept up with school through a program called Calvert out of Maryland.

My dad read to us at night by the light of a kerosene lamp. Since then, I've always loved stories and wanted to write my own.

I live in Taos, New Mexico with my husband, and two sons. We often see coyotes outside our window.

For more, please visit my website at http://www.laurenbjorkman.com


Tour Date List
 Jan 7th
 Jan 8th
 Jan 9th
 Jan 10th
 Jan 11th
 Review @

Guest Post @ Doctor's Notes
 Review @
Review @ 
YA Book Addict
Review @
 The Bookworm
 Review @
Guest Post @
YA Reviews and News
 Review @
Review @
Icy Cold Reads
Q and A @
 3Ps in a Pod
Review @ Crossroads
Review @ JennRenee Read
Excerpt @ 
Andi's Book Reviews
Giveaway @ Crossroads
Excerpt @
Wanted Readers
Guest Post @
Drugs Called Books

Giveaway!
Win ~ A $50 Amazon gift card ~ Kindle Fire HD ~ 3 Signed Hard Copies ~ 3 bookmarks ~
Enter to win by clicking here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.