Thursday, January 31, 2013

Interview with Victoria Pinder, Author of 'Returning for Valentine's'


Get to know author Victoria Pinder, and her alter ego Greta Buckle, a little bit better in this interview!

What was the inspiration behind 'Returning to Valentine's'?

I’ve watched so many anti-Valentine’s Day in recent years, and laughed with the best of them. But I love and adore romance too. I might be single this Valentine’s, again, but in 2013 it’s good to be happy for those who find love. Plus I’m a sucker for romance stories where the guy comes back unexpectedly.

Which character was the most fun to write?

Beth was fun because she went out, on her own, and despite not having the ability to be vulnerable in front of Nathan, she’s fronting such an independent spirit. It was fun writing a simple needs to see with new eyes story.

What other projects do you currently have in the works?

I write everyday, and I wish for this to be a full time job. I’m writing the third book of my contemporary series this month. Two Weeks in Miami is the first brother, but Bobby had four brothers. The second book is on submission now, and the third book is being written. I tried so hard to write a secret baby storyline, but I could never understand why a girl wouldn’t tell that hero. So I ditched the story idea, listened to the characters and it’s coming along now… without any pregnancy. For Beth and Nathan, I’m planning on revisiting them soon. Perhaps for Easter, but more likely Mother’s Day. Beth loves the holidays, and I have this fun soon to be mother-in-law, and writing holidays before a wedding where the mother-in-law sabotages Beth’s happiness once or twice… It could be fun. But this is just planned. I have to get my full lengths out.

Tell us more about your writing alter ego, Greta Buckle.

Greta loves action adventure, science fiction and mythology. My real name might be Victoria Ann Margaret Pinder, with the initials VAMP, but I cannot write vampire novels. I’m my father’s daughter in this way, and Greta really walks that line. Science fiction is predominantly written in the male POV. I find no space stories out there written by women, and Greta is not the only fan girl at a Science Fiction convention. Romantic science fiction with humor, and female characters who make mistakes… Greta must walk her own path. Greta finished a full length science fiction romance story, and decided to submit it around. The sequel to mything you is unedited, and needs some work, but it’s written. Plus Greta has her homage to more comic book type of world building that’s more than half way done. Victoria loves guys in this world, but Greta has her running shoes on and going forward doo.

Describe your perfect leading man.

The perfect leading man for a story, for life, or in a movie actor? For books, I realized the former lawyer knew too many male attorneys, and too many jaded personalities. When I write, my heroes are less jaded than the ones I know in real life, and unlike the men in my life, they know the woman they want. I find that hero who goes after the heroine, absolutely delicious. For my life, someone whose fun to be with and can deal with my many personalities. I go from serious to joking to practical to fanciful all on a dime, and someone who either balances or goes along sounds fun. And for movie actors… 2012 was the year of Thor. But I’ve always loved darker haired men. Gerard Butler or Jeremy Renner are my ideals.

What would your high school teachers say if they could see you now?

I went to Catholic school until 11th grade. Writing the word ‘sex’ might shock a few nuns. More than a few English teachers would hate everything I ever write. In high school, I was so math and science everything. Writing was subjective and up to the whims of strange women with what they assigned, not that they assigned free writing to me anyhow. One high school English teacher though, he forced me to be political, meet the President of the United States at the time, and go after my dreams. He didn’t make me hate the subjective, and asked me who I was. My answer was wrong, but he’d be excited for me.

Does your own teaching career have any influence on your writing?

Yes and no. I went to school to be a lawyer, but teaching helped reconnect me to my soul. Teenagers are not jaded from the real world yet, and still have what we adults lack often… energy and ideals. A teenager will listen to all sides, then make a decision and forge ahead. Adults tend to lose the ability to make a decision. I like this about them. Plus when I’m telling them to go out and be productive in this world and be entrepreneurs, I’d be a hypocrite if I don’t listen to what I’m saying. So it’s motivating to teach loanable funds, money market graphs, foreign exchange rates, then go home and say ‘now it’s time to be productive, Pinder.’

Do you still write fan fiction?

No. I would if I had the time write up something for Mindy/Danny or Jess/Nick, these days.

Where is your ultimate beach vacation destination for writing?

I live in Miami, Florida. I set Returning to Valentine’s, Two Weeks in Miami, and the current book I’m writing has the first few scenes here in sunny Florida. It might not be Hawaii, but we have great beaches here. I’ve written at Starbucks right on the beach many times. On January 28th I’ll be returning from a writers cruise where my computer and I went to Cozumel. But to write, I tend to dream of a huge stone fireplace, snow outside and stay inside my cabin in Maine. It’s no wonder Steven King writes so much, though perhaps I don’t need to be looking over my shoulder all the time, waiting for the axe murderer. But I miss the literary culture of the North, where there is time to read and people discuss books.

What is something readers may be surprised to learn about you?

I wish I was far more organized of a person and less sensitive. I’m not much of a partier, and I don’t like to stare at my dark side often. Despite everything, I deny the wild child in me, then when it comes loose, it’s overwhelming. Accepting my crazy side and my serious, must accomplish side has made my much more of a settled person. I still believe there is so much to see and do in life, but I’m happier now than I was for years and years and years. Getting too settled would take the adventure away, and Victoria and Greta need to be ready for whatever’s next.

Anything else you would like to add?

If anyone knows a reasonably priced vacation for March where non-jerk men roam, let me know. Worse thing that will happen is I have a new idea for a story.

Thanks for your time!

 Buy link: http://amzn.to/YjfxJe


Author Bio:

Victoria Pinder also writing under Greta Buckle grew up in Irish Catholic Boston before moving to the Miami sun. She’s worked in engineering, then became a lawyer. After realizing she hates clients, she became a high school teacher. Teaching is fun, but writing is a passion. She wrote one hundred and one fan fiction stories online before deciding to transition into writing her own stories. Never ask her to republish her fan stories from age eleven- horribly written stories of princesses. Victoria dreams of writing professionally, where her barista can make her coffee and a walk on the beach, can motivate her tales. Theseus story came to her when she was a freshman in high school as her English teacher, the nun, told her how life was hard and tragedy teaches lessons. The sci fi stories come from years of Star Trek and Star Wars fandom. Victoria’s love of writing has kept her centered and focused. How is she crazy? The voices in her head are characters in novels and she’s not insane.

Contact Links

Authors Website:  http://www.victoriapinder.com 

Facebook:   https://www.facebook.com/pages/Victoria-Pinder-also-writing-as-Greta-Buckle/294685373900979 

Twitter:    http://twitter.com/victoriapinder 

Tumblr:    victoriapinder.tumblr.com 

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/victoriapinder/ 

Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=200859737&trk=hb_tab_pro_top 

Google+ https://plus.google.com/105161432419802350109/posts/p/pub 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.