Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Meet Joyce Proell, author of 'A Deadly Truth'


Please give a warm welcome to author Joyce Proell today! Remember to leave her a comment or to ask her more questions below!
Andi, thank you so much for inviting me to your blog today.
Which character in 'A Deadly Truth' was the most fun to write?
Cady Delafield. She’s feisty and compassionate, prone to be impulsive and a little opinionated, but always kind and well-intentioned.
Are any of the characters based on people you know in real life?
Well, I wish I knew somebody as compelling and handsome as Doyle Flanagan, but sad to say, he’s but a creature of my imagination.
How did you choose the setting?
Of all the historical romances I’ve read, and I’ve read plenty, I recall only one occurring in Chicago. I thought it was about time the Windy City got its due.
What is the appeal of historical romance, specifically the Victorian era, to you as a writer?
I don’t know whether the possibility of past lives truly exists, but if it does, I’d swear I was a young woman in the 1880’s. An illogical connection seems to resonate around the Victorian period for me. It’s as if I’ve walked the streets of Paris or New York, trussed up in a tight corset, ruffles and lace cascading down to my feet and a little decorative hat perched on my head. Oh, and I can’t forget the bustle.
Why do readers like to revisit the past by reading historical romances?
Years ago, a co-worker handed me a book and said, “Read this. I think you’ll like it.” The book was Sweet Savage Love by Rosemary Rogers. It was the first romance I ever read and the sweeping historical hooked me. Historical romances, more so than a contemporary, are sheer escapism to a different time and place. If you want to get away from the stresses of everyday life, a great historical romance can’t be beat.
How do you make yourself stand out in this competitive genre?
Besides Chicago as a unique setting, A Deadly Truth is a romance with a strong mystery element. Although the book can be read as a stand alone title, the characters of Cady and Doyle will continue their love story in A Burning Truth available in December, 2013.
Would you ever consider trying to write in a different genre?
Of course. I have a completed manuscript set in 1979, which believe it or not, is considered a contemporary. I’ve also plotted a contemporary cozy romance mystery which I hope to start writing soon.
What drives you as a writer?
Sheer nuttiness. Really, it’s hard to say. I love words. People and their stories fascinate me. If I watch a program on TV or hear a good story, I can’t help but tweak the ending and characters and make it turn out differently. I love to plot and fantasize cry at the outcome of a happy ending.
What is the best piece of writing advice you have ever received?
Keep writing and stay objective and willing to learn.
What do you like to do when you aren't busy writing?
In addition to writing, I read, read, read. I also walk daily, bird watch and I find baking very relaxing.
What message do you have for readers today?
Keep reading.
Thank you so much for your time!
Thank you. It was a pleasure being here today.

Joyce Proell grew up in Minnesota and attended college and grad school in Chicago. After working in mental health, she retired at a young age to write full-time. Her first book, Eliza, was published in 2012. When she isn’t writing mysteries or historical romances, she loves to travel, walk, read, and do crossword puzzles. She and her husband make their home in rural Minnesota in her very own little house on the prairie.

Visit her website: www.joyceproell.com

www.facebook.com/JoyceProellauthor

A Deadly Truth

By

Joyce Proell

Tainted in the eyes of Victorian society by his wife’s suicide, Doyle Flanagan turns a deaf ear to the baseless gossip and harsh rebukes. Ignoring his shattered reputation, he goes about his business, making
money and enemies, and doing good works whenever his conscience gets the best of him. Arrested for murder, he is forced to rely on a feisty school administrator to solve the puzzle. As he struggles to prove his innocence, he realizes gaining the trust and loyalty of Cady Delafield may be more important than his freedom.

On a quest to locate a missing student, school matron Cady Delafield enters a stranger’s house and discovers the woman murdered. Driven to see the murderer brought to justice, she is determined to prevent any further tragedy even if it means joining forces with the very man accused of the atrocity. Against the wishes of her powerful family, she risks her job and reputation to learn the truth. But will the truth, once revealed, drive her away from the man she has come to love?

Passion and murder collide in 1880’s Chicago as they race to keep one step ahead of the police who want Doyle to pay for his crime. As the attraction between Cady and Doyle sizzles, they battle suspicions, lies and lethal actions to uncover the murderer before he destroys them both.


Joyce will be awarding a $10 Amazon gift card to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour. Follow the tour for more chances to win!

12 comments:

  1. I can't think of any stories I have read that were set in Chicago.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicago has a rich and varied history. It's a great setting for a story. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Andrea,

    \Thanks for hosting today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea
    Thanks for hosting today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading a historical romance is a great way to escape for a little while.

    Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for letting us know Cady will be back for another book, I look forward to seeing her again

    fencingromein at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. I hope you enjoy A Burning Truth.

      Delete
  6. I love historical romances. If i had a previous life, it would have been in the 1700's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice interview

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the interview!

    justforswag(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet interview.. ;)) Love Historical romances.. and the description of yours is right on the money for me. Thanks for sharing!

    vals_hemi at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.