Saturday, December 12, 2009

Just call me...Rita



Just call me...Rita: Book 1984 was one of the first books I ever tried to request via PRWeb. The plot sounded somewhat interesting: transplant from Canada now living in LA, getting sucked into the sex, drugs, and rock & roll life back in the 1980s. The story is told via diary entries, which should allow for some really in-depth views and opinions.

When I received my copy, it kept looking at me, begging to be read. I wanted to devote some good attention to it, so I delayed starting it for a little while. And then, I wish I hadn't.

The book is literally a daily entry, as in 365 days, spanning from January 1, 1984 through December 31st. And while I admit that my life tends to be a lot of the same thing from day to day, so was this. And that did not make for entertaining reading.

Also detracting from a potentially good story is a lot of "ghetto talk" for lack of a better descriptive phrase. I have been known to swear like a sailor, but there is a time and place for everything. I know that it was part of the character, but it was a little much. Though, I did learn some colorful new phrases.

I had a lot of difficulty reading about everyone screwing each other, taking different drugs, and drinking as much as possible. It made my liver and certain orifices hurt just thinking about it all. There just didn't seem to be much of a plot, other than Rita's frustration with her rock star-wannabe hubby and doing anything she could to get back at him, while simultaneously getting tanked up as often as possible and literally screwing anything. (I will never be able to eat Jimmy Dean again.)

For some people, this book is going to be a treat. I think of those who enjoy the trashier side of reality TV, such as Real Housewives and all of those other ones that have catty, bitchy bleached blondes with horrific manicures, making up reasons to scream at and cat fight with each other. It has just never been my style of entertainment, and I couldn't even complete the book. I did sneak peeks at the last few pages, to see if anything changes throughout the story, but really it doesn't. I fear that there will be a follow-up for the year 1985, but I will leave that to the rest of you to read and review.

Purchase "Just call me...Rita" Book 1984

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.