Saturday, March 22, 2014

How do you keep your writing different? by Karolyn James, author of 'A Chance at Love'



How Do You Keep Your Writing Different?


I think it’s very important to keep writing different within a set theme or genre. For me, my life revolves around romance. Of course, my two biggest series are Brothers of Rock and the brand new Ferry Creek series. When I write Brothers of Rock, the main theme is rockstars and romance. But within that I want each story to be different. Each band member of both Chasing Cross and Fallen Tuesday are different men. They need to act different, speak different, fall in love in a different way. The same for the plot. It can’t keep being the same thing over and over.

When I started with the Ferry Creek books, my main setting became the small town of Ferry Creek. In A Chance at Love I wanted to bring readers into the town through a new stranger named Sullivan Chasen. The purpose was to show the power of love and family. For the second book, I knew I had to keep it different. Sure, the town of Ferry Creek would be the glue of the novel, but I wanted something to separate from the first book. In A Place to Heal I brought in the suspense and danger of Aribel’s past. I knew I’d have to bring her ex to town and to do that, I built it throughout the book until it finally happened.

For me, as the writer, it keeps my fingers moving to tell different stories with the same theme behind them. By doing that, it also gives the readers something different to read. I mean, after all, one of the best rules of writing is to write what you’d like to read.


Date Published: 2/13/2014
Contemporary Romance


Blurb:

A simple phone call can change your life... just ask successful businessman Sullivan Chasen.

When the caller shares the news that Sullivan's father is dying, Sullivan laughs and hangs up. He isn't being heartless, he just knows that it can't be true - because his father already passed away... ten years ago.

Like a bad dream, the calls keep coming and DNA results turn Sullivan's world upside down. There is only one way, and very little time, to figure out the truth. He packs his bags for the small town of Ferry Creek, North Carolina.

Once Sullivan arrives, he must confront a past he never knew existed, including a half-brother who lives above their family diner. The longer he spends away from his wealthy lifestyle and successful business, the more he falls in love with the small town, its community... and waitress, Jess Winthorne.

Can Sullivan Chasen go back to his normal life after learning about his past or will he discover the missing piece of his heart in Ferry Creek?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDHHGN6/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00IDHHGN6&linkCode=as2&tag=andsboorev-20

Follow Karolyn James

Website - www.KarolynJames.wordpress.com
Facebook - www.facebook.com/karolynjamesauthor
Mailing List - www.tinyurl.com/kjsignup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to tremendous amounts of spam, all comments are moderated and will be approved and published throughout the day.